Wednesday, February 16, 2011

How I Passed the Motorcycle Rider's Course

As you may recall, the last 2 posts promise to finish the story of the motorcycle rider's course and it ended as I found myself crumpled up in a heap under my little Honda 250 at the foot of my instructor, the drill sergeant. I knew I was in trouble by the look on his face. I was the oldest in the class by about 10-15 years and I was a woman rider. The look on his face told me he didn't feel safe on the streets if I was out there too. I was desperate, as I had already purchased my first Harley Davidson 883 and it was parked in the garage at home. I HAD TO PASS.

Then I thought of Donna. She had obviously ridden behind for many years and was now in class with me learning just like I was. Donna was my ace in the hole. With long blond hair, designer sun glasses, a slim figure, wearing tight leather pants, she was "well endowed" in a low cut clingy shirt. I had already seen her riding her little 250 beside me in class and she was worse than I was! Neither of us could figure out how to cut a close figure 8 around those cones without knocking them over but the instructors LOVED DONNA! What did she have that I didn't have?

I think her secret weapon was her poses on the bike. Whenever she knocked a cone down and had to stop to get remedial instruction, she leaned way over the front of her bike and looked up at the instructor while he looked down her shirt. From the rear in that pose... well, you can imagine the sight. She should have been in front of a camera rather than on a bike. But Donna was clumsier than I. By lunch that day, I had mastered a few more moves than Donna had, so I found MY secret weapon. I bonded with Donna at the slim hip.

For the entire afternoon I stayed right behind Donna in the formations. When she did rode through the obstacle course, I rode a tiny bit better than she did. When she struggled, I gave her pointers. She became a friend and it became quite obvious that Donna would pass the course, so I would have to pass too, only by virtue of not being as bad as Donna.

Bless her heart! We passed. The instructors had no choice but to pass me and I left that Saturday afternoon with a certificate that entitled me to sit for the written motorcycle license endorsement test just like Donna did. I was soon to be on the streets alone, another woman rider joining the ranks of Harley Davidson enthusiasts! Thanks Donna!

2 comments:

  1. It’s good to have come across your blog Julie! It’s not every day we hear of a woman Harley rider. I am a Harley motorcycle enthusiast myself. And since I want to make it legit, I took a riding course with Harley-Davidson. I got an endorsement for a license test which I fortunately passed. That is one of the most thrilling news I have ever received!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wouldn’t worry if I was in your position. Your Harley Ironhead is a tough beast. Maintaining it properly will extend its life. There are many ways to do this such as: adjusting the valves when you’re supposed to, changing oil every two thousand miles, keeping a watchful eye on your generator brushes and making sure your chains are lubed and adjusted. Anyway, how’s your Ironhead doing today?

    ReplyDelete