Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Leather for Women Riding Harleys

In excited anticipation, I await spring in Iowa. I cannot wait to take that first chilly ride on my Harley Davidson Softail. While thinking about that first exhilarating ride of the season, I am reminded that I need to make sure and dress warmly. Even if 45 degrees feels balmy in comparison to what Old Man Winter has been throwing at us, it does not take long to freeze your toes, nose, and fingers while riding.
The first few rides of the season, when the temperature is below 50 degrees, I like to stay on the main streets in town, with a speed below 50 mph. I remember one spring day that my husband suggested we ride to breakfast, a short skip of 25 miles via interstate. I though that was a grand idea, full of the thrill of the anticipated ride. Roughly 10 miles down the interstate on the way to our favorite cafe, I flagged him over with a stiff arm. I could not go any further. It took a convenience store and full cup of coffee to warm me enough to get back on the bike and ride the 10 miles back home, in search of a closer place to get our omelets.
So now I am reminded of that ride and planning the layers I will need to wear in order to get out on that first spring day comfortably.
Boots - check
Warm socks - check
Long underwear (Cuddleduds work well) - check
Jeans - check
Chaps - Having lost 45 pounds since I last wore mine, I am not sure I can fit them... better try them on.
Shirts in layers - easy!
Leather coat - (many times over a sweatshirt) - check
Gloves - Wow, I wish the heated gloves had worked well for me. Now I have only my heaviest gauntlet gloves and I know that will be my Achilles heel. I have glove liners, so maybe I should buy some of those hand warmers to stick in my gloves.
Head covering - Stocking hat or helmet.
Face covering - I have not broken down and bought one of the fleece face scarves yet, I think I look like Jesse James. - Maybe I should just go ahead and do it. Screw vanity when you are cold!

I have been seriously considering whether to purchase new chaps or new leather pants. It looks like all I need to gather is a face covering and the heated gloves. Maybe I should check Amazon for prices on these items. Amazon has about anything you could wish for and will be delivered right to your home. Here are some examples:
Well, I am signing off now.. I better get the credit card out and get to shopping.  SPRING IS JUST AROUND THE CORNER GIRLS!

GET READY TO ROLL!

No comments:

Post a Comment